The information and data in a CRM can be used to acquire, maintain, re-sign and up-sell customers as well as find trends to make decisions and predict business needs. Sounds good for everyone in the company, right?
It is good for everyone! But, we can’t just reap the rewards and benefits so easily. It is a full team effort, everyone who interacts with your prospects and customers can and should impact data in CRM. While this is not done overnight and does require intentional set up and customization, there are some built in ways Zoho CRM can help keep data clean and robust.
Customize to Standardize
Zoho is customizable to business specifics and that can lend itself well to collecting the data you want and need in a uniform way.
- Add in custom fields and narrow down input to specific predefined options. This can establish easily reportable data points and can be done at the onset of your CRM use or as you realize a gap in information.
- Make strategic fields required. Prohibit saving a record unless a field is filled, especially when that field is of heightened importance or interest for reporting. Note: There is a downside to doing this to too many fields. If everything is required, it can lead to users avoiding data entry altogether. For example, your reps might not have enough time to fill in 20 different fields if they just had a preliminary call with someone. The key here is balance – you want to get as much accurate information into your CRM without discouraging your team.
- Only accept certain values to establish standards for ‘bad data’. This would be an extra check to avoid outlier data. For example, if the reasonable quantity is normally 5-15, you can prevent someone from saving a record in error (reporting 150) since they were in a hurry and hit that extra 0 on the end.
- Only allow unique inputs for certain fields. This prevents duplicate records from being created, for example if a contact is already created with a phone number, another one using that same phone number will be prohibited.
- Create dependent fields (ones that are displayed or required based on a trigger) In other words if one thing is indicated, then more information could be asked drilling into why that is. This keeps the data entry light and easy, except when more information is truly valuable.
Remove or merge together duplicate records that are stored in your CRM to make the data clean and the system reliable. This tool, that’s built right into Zoho CRM, will find duplicates that you might not be aware of based on similar fields (like if 3 contact records have the same email address or 2 companies have the same phone number). The system will merge together any duplicates allowing you to resolve conflicts between the many records being merged together. Learn more on finding and merging duplicates here.
Are your lead, contact, and account records lacking some information? Make those records more complete with the help of Zia, Zoho’s AI persona. Based on some of the primary details you enter when creating a record, Zia will search the web to find more information and return results that you can add to the record. This tool will find things like address, phone number, websites, and more. Get to know Zia better.
These are our go-to tools for keeping CRM data clean, which keeps our reporting top-notch. Depending on your role within the organization and how you interact with the CRM, we have best practices for you too. If you haven't already, check out our Zoho Training Tracks broken down by job functions.Originally published on June 03, 2020